Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My first cell phone


Well...almost everyone has a story to tell. This is my story of having the cell phone. That was around 1989 when I was still in the college in upstate New York, USA. The cellphone was only the beginning at that time and it was a hot commodity. People seemed to be quite fasinated of this new technology including myself. So I decided to get one and it was a car cellphone from Motorola where long antena has be attached to the rear of the vehicle and that cellphone is attached permanently to the long wire. This seems to be alright; however, the fees that incurred for this was outraged compare to nowdays. Fro example it was 300 USD to install, $300 for the phone, and you have to sign 2-year contract with the service provider. There is no flat rate fee for calls if my memory serves me. The calling rate depends on time and place you made the call and was around 0.50-1.50 USD. Go figure.

In Laos, a friend once said. In 1993 or so, If you owned a mobile phone, it means you either rich or you are crazy. To own a mobile phone, 20 grams or so, you have to spend at least 2000-3000 USD which meant that cell phone cost around 2000 USD, the SIM card priced at 500 USD, and some other accessories that service provider able to drain your pocket.....my, my....I thought it was tough call for my to make in New York but in Laos as even harder ...that was then and this is now where SIM card is just pennies. Time flies and changes so fast in 20 or odd years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home